Friday, July 17, 2009

Making a List

I've always been an uber-organized person. I love lists and order and neatness. This is helpful when living on a boat, because there is no room to be messy. It's also helpful with the small storage unit we rent out at the marina. It's about 6'x8' and it fits my work bench and Eric's computer desk. Where I'm also hoping this neatness will be helpful is in opening an Etsy shop.

I've been doing a lot of research on how to open your own business and I keep developing all of these lists in my head to get started. Here are a few of the items on my list:

1. Create inventory. I'm working on this now. I'm slowing bringing my ideas to life and will post some prototypes soon.

2. Learn how to best ship the displays to people. This needs to be cost effective, preferably earth-friendly and the packaging should be cute and reflect my shop's style.

3. Master taking really good photos of my product. I'm creating a lightbox and trying to understand the different modes on my digital camera to know how to do this. I'm going to work on the light box today so I'll post pics of my progress.

4. Getting my shop fully functional on Etsy. I need to figure out what my shop policies are going to be and how I'm going to label and describe my items.

While I know there are a bazillion other things I'll need to do to get going, these four items seem like the most important to my initial start and initial success. More pics to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment