Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Welcome to My New Blog!

Hello! I've started this blog on Blogger because it is so much easier for me to modify and design than my Squarespace one. Eric and I will continue to keep our website and I know Eric will keep his blog on the site as well.

I've been working on an idea for several months now and would like to share it with you. It deals with my jewelry problem. Well, I don't want to call it a "problem", because having all this fantastic jewelry is surely not a problem, but storing it has become one. This is a photo of what my current storage situation looks like:




I love all of the little boxes that my jewelry comes in when I buy it off Etsy.com, but I can't keep cardboard on the boat (increases the chances of vermin getting aboard), and I'm a visual person, so I really want to see my options every morning or evening when I'm putting on my "glitz." I have researched jewelry organizing solutions and have come up short. While there are several functional options, I couldn't find a stylish solution. Jewelry is beautiful on and off of you, why not display jewelry in a functional, design-oriented manner when it's not on your person? And so, I am working on a line of jewelry displays that will do just that.

First step, take a look at how much and what types of jewelry I have:



I have a large collection of necklaces, some earrings and very few bracelets and rings. As I work on this new line I have to decide if I should group jewelry displays by color, style, sets, or materials. Also, should I create separate displays for necklaces, bracelets and rings, or go multi-use? I'm working these questions out now with my first proto-types. I'd love to know how you store your jewelry at home (or on the boat :)

Tell me:
1) how do you store your jewelry?
2) do you like how you store it?
3) would you be open to another way of storing it?
4) would you like to incorporate design/style into your jewelry storage?

These are the types of questions that have been keeping me up at night!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Red. Like the new blog.

    I'm with you on the storage conundrum. My best solution yet has been to hang it on walls - it looks pretty! I think you should create something that's like a Caboodle, only vertical.
    A box, on the wall, wood probably, and it opens w/ two doors. Then the insides can open further with cunning little springs and levers. You know what I mean? I can draw it on a napkin for you at our next wine-soaked dinner.

    xoooooooooooooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth,

    I'm actually doing something similar to your idea, though it will be open, like a frame instead of the closed doors idea. I like it though, and am tucking it away in the idea file for now :)

    ReplyDelete