Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Using a Light Box

I followed this tutorial yesterday to make a light box. It didn't take very long once I had assembled all of the materials.

A few things I've already learned:

1. The tutorial above suggests only leaving two flaps to control the light source coming in from above. I would suggest leaving three or following this tutorial where the entire top is covered in cloth or paper.

2. I grabbed this box because it was free and because I thought I would need a large box to work with the frames I'm making. It was just too big. Perhaps if I had an apartment or house it would be okay, but after making it I looked around my little storage locker and realized I had no where to store it. I'm going to make a smaller one that is tall (to accommodate a frame).

Here are some of the photos I took yesterday when playing with the new light box:



Whoohoo! Such clarity! This is a lovely bracelet from Out of the Blue, a sweet little shop on Etsy.

Here is a sneak peak of one of my first prototypes:

Again, I'm looking to create a jewelry display that shows off the beauty of one's jewelry while still being very functional. That cute little owl necklace is from Polished Two on Etsy and the gorgeous turquoise necklace is from Hey Renee Designs on Etsy as well.

I'm really impressed with how these photos turned out with the light box. Now I'm wondering how to create a similar, built-in situation on a wall so that I can take photos of the frames while they're hanging.

I'd like to be able to switch out color on the "wall" that they hang on as I'll be making different colored frames and want to show how they'd look in different styled homes.


Last shot - I'm working on hooks and how to best install them. I've got to get just the right drill bits to make sure the wood doesn't split as it did on my first prototype. I used a shadowbox that I picked up on sale from Aaron Brothers, but in my newer models I'm building everything from scratch, so I'm hoping that won't be a problem:

1 comment:

  1. I am loving it!! Every little bit of it! I can't wait to see the whole thing! It is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete