Sunday, August 2, 2009

First Handmade Prototype

Whoohoo! I finally compiled all of the tools I needed to start trying to hand-make my own version of my jewelry display cases. Eric helped me on this end.

Honestly, it was more moral support than anything else. I had made a dozen runs to Home Depot and Michael's searching for the perfect paint, for hooks of all sizes, for screen, for sawtooth hangers and L-braces, etc, but when it came to buying a mitre box I just really wanted someone standing with me in the Home Depot tool aisle debating the virtues of which yellow box was better, and it helped, it really did.

So I installed the box on the work table in our storage shed and got to work cutting angles on the wood I had picked up. I can't believe how much I've learned, and I'm not even finished with the first prototype.

Here are some more shots of what I'm working on:

Using the mitre box

Spacing out the different hooks

Bringing the pieces together & more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment